Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Grocery Shopping in the Future




This story is not really about photo styling – but it is bound to have an effect on styling in the future.

I recently had a grocery shopping experience that made me feel that I was living in the future – an ideal future. I followed my daughter’s advice and visited Fresh and Easy Neighborhood Market for a weekly shopping trip. I was amazed from the moment I pulled into the parking lot and saw:
1. wide parking spaces
2. three spots set aside for families with children, and
3. parking spaces reserved for hybrid vehicles

Inside the store I found a bulletin board stating the philosophy of the store, why they package the produce, and community outreach activities. And then the best food at the most reasonable prices. And it was so orderly. Not the usual grocery shelves stacked with competing brands and all their clashing labels, but sometimes one of each item, the Fresh and Easy store brand. That might seem like a boring, regulated way to shop yet I found it kind of reassuring and simple. Especially when each item cost about half of what it would be in another store. That includes lots of organic, healthy food like you might find at a gourmet grocery store. (Though there are also some odd items, like Cheez-Whiz and Diet Coke.)

The store has clean new concrete floors, wider aisles, free coffee. But no cashiers! It is all self-checkout and I guess that’s why the cost is low. Not so good for hiring checkers. And I don’t know yet if there are other ways the chain is negatively affecting people and if there are any unfair practices. But it seems like time to adjust to new conditions, when the traditional U.S. stores are becoming prohibitively expensive, like $4 for a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk. It’s nice to find a green, affordable, healthy option for food shopping!



Footnote: I found out my friend Jade, who is a college student, works part-time at Fresh and Easy and says it is a wonderful place to work! She loves the opportunity to work in different roles in the store and the management is great.

No comments: